FIRN Analytics often host a Visual Analytics Meetup and it is definitely worth attending!
I am one of the hosts of the event and enjoy sharing what I've learned about Tableau and hearing other people's questions and insights.
What do we cover in a Visual Analytics Meetup you may ask? Read more to see what we would cover in a typical meetup...
If you have attended one of our Visual Analytics Meetup that is fantastic - this blog may still have some useful links and information for you to look through.
If you are a newbie to our meetups and have yet to attend - then hopefully this blog will show you what a meetup is all about and why you should attend!
Why should I attend a Visual Analytics Meetup:
- You meet interesting and interested people; Each month we have a few dozen people attending. Some regulars and some new to the group. Some people know a lot about Visual Analytics, others can introduce you to overlapping disciplines. The Meetup group has over 650 members as of today.
- You'll learn something; We have interesting speakers each month, telling about how they have implemented analytics in their organisation, how to use a certain tool, perform a certain trick or what value analytics can bring.
- Get inspired by what others do; We like to invite our speakers to show how they use data, BI or visual analytics within their organisation. So this is your chance to spy on the competition and steal other people's ideas!
- It's free and informal; We don't charge you anything for signing up or attending. We're trying to build a community by bringing enthusiasts together by giving you food, drinks and an educational night of entertainment each month.
- We have a Slack Group to discuss everything Visual Analytics; We use the Slack group for personal conversations and to discuss the Meetup events, different tools, use cases, events, challenges, ask questions and get feedback on your work.
What does a Visual Analytics Meetup cover?
Every meetup is different but here is an example of what was covered in our last meetup:
- Tableau in New Zealand: new features in Tableau 10.3 by Tableau Australia (May '17)
- The Dutch Episode: Dutch Gold Partner Infotopics demonstrating their extensions (June '17)
- #MakeoverMonday: Andy Kriebel and Eva Murray guiding us through a 1 hour viz Makeover (July '17)
- A Journey into Space: best practices in dashboard spacing and using layout containers (August '17)
- Geospatial Analysis: prepare and analyse geospatial data in Alteryx and Tableau, Scott Elliott @ Datagems (October '17)
- Web Analytics: a joint event with Web Analytics Wednesday (November '17)
- Show your work: members Eureka and Liz showing work they're proud of (December '17)
- See New Things and Act: John Graves from Qrious on what data can do for us (February '18)
- Data Science & Visual Analytics: Naveen Adari showing the value of DataRobot (March '18)
- Infotools: Horst Feldhaueser on good and bad visualisations
- Snowflake & Tableau: a start-to-end demo from big data to insight using Snowflake and Tableau by Lee Bond Kennedy (Tableau) and Alan Eldridge (Snowflake)
- Data Preparation - Alteryx & Tableau Prep: bringing data together and using insights to help the whole organisation (Dan Peach from NZ Steel)
Here are some links to content covered in a previous Meetup on Alteryx and Tableau Prep:
Okay I'm interested how do I join?
Does that spark a little interest? If so, sign up for our Meetup group.
Would you like to speak at one of our events? Even better! Let us know!